​Flash Your Pass

School’s New Pass Policy a Success or Inconvenience?  

Melissa Blick, Reporter

10th grader, Alec Sherill flashes a new paper pass.

North Charleston, South Carolina   

A new policy has been introduced to Fort Dorchester High School which is “flash your pass.” This policy requires teachers to give students a white paper slip with the name of the teacher and student on it as well as the room #, time of departure, and the destination. With this policy, there is also a sign in and sign out sheet sheet placed in every teachers’ classroom.

Students are required to carry the white pass along with their ID badge when they leave the classroom. Students need to know that if an administrator asks you where you’re going, you just need to flash your pass. It’s as easy as flipping it to the front or back and showing it to the adult along with presenting your ID.  

As students, you may be wondering why this policy was put into place, but Mrs. Mary Gonzales makes it clear why this system is happening. The guidance counselor commented on its importance and shared, “The flash your pass policy has been put into effect to help curtail students being out of their classes. This is an issue that we are working on as a school. School is for learning and students can’t learn if they are out of class. In short, the policy is being used to keep students in class, so they don’t miss out on important instruction time. 

After asking several teachers about how effective they think the flash your pass policy is, they all had similar opinions on the topic. Mrs. Page, who is the Economics and High School 101 teacher said, “I somewhat agree with the policy. I think students should definitely have a pass in the hallways. However, I think the new paper passes will not do much to solve students roaming the hallways. I believe this is because the “flash your passes” rely on adults being in the hallways to check student passes, which is not possible at all times, as teachers are busy teaching!”

There are also hard copy yellow passes that are meant for just restroom visits that are now being used. Some teachers think that these passes are a positive change. Page supports the use of the hard copy bathroom passes as she said, “One thing I do really like about the new passes is that they are difficult to get lost. My lanyard passes were constantly being lost or damaged, but the new bathroom passes should be more sturdy and the paper passes are replenishable.” 

Mr. Dasinger, the school’s government teacher, thought about whether the new pass policy makes his job more convenient, more difficult, or if he is indifferent about it. He commented,It only makes the job easier if the student is legitimately using it for its intended purpose. Those not using it correctly are still likely to be wandering in the hallways.” With both of these educators’ input, the common opinion is that this system will only work, if it’s used properly. So, its up to the admin team to keep the system working properly and to check the passes regularly. Plus, the teachers need to fill out the paper passes correctly and the students need to understand their proper uses.

This pass system will most likely be long term. Now, the entire school needs to adjust to it and relearn the hallway procedures, so students can get the most out of their class time. 

10th grader, Kymbreona Brown is ready to hit the 100 hallway with the new bathroom pass.