FDHSNews

The Student News Site of Fort Dorchester High School

FDHSNews

FDHSNews

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FHDS’ Dungeons and Dragons Club and Its Ups and Downs

Let’s get things rolling with the DND club!

Imagine yourself at a fantasy carnival, investigating why this mysterious carnival only appears once every eight years, while also searching for a way to cure your curse. Well, that is what is currently happening in FDHS’ Dungeons and Dragons Club. FDHS’ Dungeons and Dragons Club recently started a new campaign, and most people in the club are excited. However, there are some people that are ruining the game for everyone else.

A campaign in Dungeons and Dragons is what the game/story is called. The campaign is run by the Dungeon Master, who is the person who tells the story to the players.

Dungeons and Dragons, or more commonly abbreviated to DND, is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game. There are roughly 8-10 members showing up per meeting, which are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during ILT.  Mrs. Hackelman, English teacher and head of the Dungeons and Dragons Club, runs the game and does well with the big group. However, she does get overwhelmed “whenever people are talking over each other.”

Many of the students enjoy coming to these meetings, like sophomore Jeffrey Aiken, who is one of the more recent additions to the DND Club. Aiken says that “[DND Club] is really entertaining, and makes ILT fun.” Aiken also recommends DND Club to others, “especially if they are into fantasy stories.” 

However, there are some people who think that DND Club has gotten a bit overcrowded. Sophomore Trip Hammond thinks that “[DND Club is] nice but there are too many people at each session.” Some of the people at each session don’t even pay attention to the game, which also bothers Mrs. Hackelman. Those who do pay attention end up also getting in trouble because of the people who don’t follow Mrs. Hackelman’s classroom and game rules. In fact, for the week of February 26, DND Club was canceled because people were making a mess, not cleaning it up, and not returning desks back to where they were if they moved them. 

There is good news, however. People in the club are changing their ways and trying not to ruin the joy of DND for everyone else. In conclusion, DND Club can and is fun, but some people ruin it for everyone.